CONCORD is the European Confederation of Relief and Development NGOs. We are made up of member organisations: 28 national platforms, 25 international networks and 4 associate members that represent over 2,600 NGOs, supported by millions of citizens across Europe. We are the main interlocutor with the EU institutions on development policy, funding and practice.
CONCORD is seeking a highly-motivated individual to join the Membership and Communication Team as the communication coordinator of CONCORD. Role Specification The purpose of this role is to provide expert input to strategise, implement and monitor all CONCORD communications in alignment with our vision, strategy and values.
You will contribute to the work of the other Coordinators within the Secretariat in order to: ● Increase CONCORD visibility & profile and promote CONCORD messages towards our external stakeholders (EU institutions, media and journalists, partners and allies)
● Ensure our members are informed, enabling them to play an active role in the confederation. Key areas of responsibility
● Develop and implement an internal and external communication strategy for the confederation, including the framing of messages and narratives;
● Act as guardian of CONCORDs branding; maintain and implement a coherent editorial style and tone for the confederation, and strengthen the public image of CONCORD;
● Develop and manage CONCORDs online presence; prepare and/or supervise - with the help of the intern - all communication outputs of the confederation (e.g. newsletters, social media updates, campaigns, news articles, blog posts);
● Lead on media work by building relationships with key Brussels-based journalists; draft, edit and produce blogs, press releases, opinion pieces for the EU bubble and international media;
● Coordinate the development of CONCORDs publications (including CONCORDs Annual Report) which will include planning, writing, editing, taking care of layout plus all contact with printers and distributors;
● Coordinate the production of other print and digital materials and communication tools, including podcasts;
● Facilitate mutual learning and exchange with communication experts from the confederation;
● Monitor the impact of CONCORDs communications;
● Monitor emerging trends and look for ways to keep the organisation abreast of changes in digital communication and to maintain communications best practices;
● As part of the team, you will also be expected to support the organisation of certain events and activities, such as the General Assembly.
Person Specification The successful candidate will understand and be committed to CONCORDs vision and goals and be able to contribute to CONCORDs ambition to pursue a transformational agenda at EU level. Knowledge
● Academic background or professional experience in the development and/or human rights sector;
● Knowledge of the civil society sector and of the development sector;
● Proven writing and editorial skills;
● Knowledge of social media and online communication channels;
● Good understanding of EU policy-making and influencing processes and strategies;
● Interest in and good knowledge of EU politics and processes including issues pertaining to sustainable development;
● Competence with standard Office software, Adobe tools, and Wordpress; Experience
● At least 5 years of professional experience (excluding internships) in communication work;
● Experience working for a civil society, membership or other purpose-driven organisation; ● Experience in drafting and revising texts (e.g. press releases) under time pressure;
● Experience in publication and design;
● Experience in managing online communication tools such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Mailchimp, Wordpress on a daily basis.
● Good presentational skills applicable to both internal and external events;
● Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including tactful and effective facilitation skills to build consensus;
● Strong planning and organisational skills;
● Ability to prioritise while managing multiple projects simultaneously;
● Ability to work under pressure and towards tight deadlines;
● Team player; proactive; self-starter;
● Capable networker, able to coordinate and operate effectively in coalitions;
● Confidence and fluency in communicating to external audiences on CONCORDs work in your areas of focus;
● Fluent level written and spoken English; working knowledge of French desirable;
Conditions of Employment: Contract:
One-year full-time position (CDD) with possibility of conversion to permanent contract (CDI) on successful completion
Location: Brussels, Belgium Gross salary: from €3579 per month, depending on experience
Other benefits: thirteenth month; holiday allowance; hospitalisation insurance; affiliation to pension scheme; meal vouchers and a monthly commuting allowance on local public transport or by bicycle.
The position reports to the Head of Membership and Communication.
If you are interested, please send:
1) a CV (max. 2 pages, no photo)
2) a cover letter explaining your motivation (max. 1 page) and
3) a completed questionnaire (see below) to: email@example.com, with the Subject: Communication Coordinator Application.
Please note that only applications and CVs written in English will be accepted.
The closing date for applications is 24 August 2020. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
First round interviews + writing exercise will take place on 2 September 2020. Thjobs@concordeurope.orge second round of interviews will be held on 7 September 2020.
Ideal start date: 21 September 2020.
No possibility for visa sponsorship. You should have a valid work permit to work in Belgium.
Questionnaire for Communications Coordinator position
Please answer the following questions:
1) Draft a short communication plan for the launch of the 2020 Aidwatch Report. Highlighting your approach to media outreach (no more than 1 page).
2) Develop a visual (infographic, illustration or other visual material) on the impact of COVID-19 sustainable development
Thursday 06 august 2020 - 17h00 / Monday 24 august 2020 - 17h00
T. +32 (0)2 743.87.60 / 84