European Microfinance Network is looking for its new General Manager
The European Microfinance Network is a network of organizations actively engaged in financial inclusion in Europe and candidate countries. The EMN provides and coordinates a number of activities aimed at strengthening the capacity of its members with the ultimate purpose of reducing unemployment and supporting financial and social inclusion in Europe.
The EMN General Manager (GM) is based in Brussels and is part of the EMN Secretariat. He/she reports directly to the Board of Directors and is responsible for the formulation and implementation of the strategy as well as the performance of the association.
The GM is a senior leader in the financial and social inclusion within the European ecosystem, with a good understanding of the sector, a broad network especially of EU constituents, understanding of the European trends in the areas of social finance, microfinance and social economy, experience in advocacy and lobbying and the ability to develop a visionary perspective as the organization evolves. The General Manager will be leading the advocacy and fundraising efforts of the organization while becoming the main ambassador representing the interests of financial and social inclusion in Europe.
The new GM is a proactive, positive, well-connected individual who has an exceptional ability to identify and retain members, negotiate partnerships with like-minded institutions, and bring the issues of concerns of its members to the various EU stakeholders.
The GM manages a team of 10 people based in Brussels and other EU countries. The position is full time, based in Brussels with hybrid (in the office, at home) schedule.
- Strategic planning and governance
- Develop and implement the strategy reporting on progress and results in reaching strategic objectives and organizational effectiveness on a regular basis.
- Present to the board for approval and engage team members in developing it.
- Prepare board meetings and general assemblies and support board in communicating activities and performance.
- Financial management and fund raising/grant management
- Support DGM in budgeting and policies/procedures to ensure EMN is run professionally, equitably and transparently. Accountable for financial results of the network.
- Secure the support of current and additional funders to achieve EMN’s mission, including the current strategic partnership with the European Commission.
- Lead the advocacy efforts of the organization in coordination with the advocacy manager and members, in influencing the EU policy debate in line with the market’s and members’ needs
- In particular, represent the network at EC and working groups, support members in advocacy, support design of policy fora.
- Membership management and development, stakeholder management
- Lead the network’s external representation efforts as an influential and compelling ambassador of a sector driven by its social mission.
- Build synergies and relationships across the sector, ensuring EMN strengthens the most relevant partnerships to be able to co-create an inclusive and global ecosystem.
- With membership manager, foster the growth of the EMN membership and offer strong added-value services to the members.
- Events management and communications
- Lead and manage content of events organized by EMN such as workshops and conferences.
- Oversee sponsoring for events,
- Propose communications strategy and review communication contents
Oversee all research projects included but not limited to the overview survey and the Maria Nowak research award.
- HR management
- Manage a team of 10, with 3 remote
- With DGM, ensure HR policies and procedures are updated and transparent/equitable
- Leverage the talents of people with different perspectives, styles, and cultural origins.
- Drive engagement by creating a work climate where people are motivated to do their best.
Required skills and experience:
- Master’s degree in economics, finance or business
- At least 10 years’ experience working in an association, membership-based organization, credit union, bank or other financial/social purpose institution at a management level
- Perfect fluency English and French both verbally and in writing with a third European language highly desirable
- European work permit
- Experience in advocacy
- Experience writing proposals and approaching donors and policy makers
- Experience managing teams
- Governance experience a plus.
- Positive, flexible, perseverant and proactive
- Transparent, open-minded, results oriented
● An attractive salary for the non-profit sector with a range of 6,000 to 8,000 EUR monthly gross, based on the candidate’s experience;
● 5 week-holiday;
● Reimbursement of monthly «STIB abonnement» (public transport pass);
● Lunch passes;
● Hospital insurance;
● Working location in the heart of Brussels with flexible, hybrid work (2 to 3 days in the office, 2 to 3 days working from home)
Please send your application (CV+ motivation letter) in French or English by December 1, COB to email@example.com
Interviews will run from December 7 to December 21
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.