Counter Balance is looking for a Policy and Advocacy Officer!
Position: Policy and Advocacy Officer
Organisation: Counter Balance
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Start date: As soon as possible (subject to change depending on your availability)
Duration: Unlimited-term contract
Deadline for applications: 23:59 CET 18 September 2022
Please apply in writing by sending an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line Policy and Advocacy Officer, including:
- Your CV in English;
- An application letter, focusing on your motivation and suitability for this position.
Interviews will take place in Brussels or remotely shortly after the deadline. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Discover more about Counter Balance here: http://counter-balance.org/
COUNTER BALANCE'S MISSION
Counter Balance is a coalition of nine international development and environmental NGOs whose mission is to make European public finance a key driver of the transition to socially and environmentally sustainable and equitable societies. We do this by holding EU public financial institutions to account on their public mission, challenging harmful decisions, policies and projects and promoting progressive alternatives.
The coalition was formed in 2007 to specifically challenge the European Investment Bank (EIB) and push for its reform. While the EIB remains our main target, we have expanded the scope of our work to other public investment banks such as the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development and national development financial institutions public financial institutions which operate similarly. We also deal with related EU policies and regulations impacting those institutions.
MAIN TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Counter Balance is seeking a dynamic Policy and Advocacy Officer to support our work on European public banks based in our Brussels office.
Working in close cooperation with our members across Europe, the role includes a variety of advocacy, research and operational tasks. The main duties of the Policy and Advocacy Officer are listed below:
- Develop and implement advocacy and awareness campaigns related to EU investment plans and the EIB;
- Taking part in advocacy activities towards European institutions (European Parliament, Commission, and EU Member States) within a broad coalition of NGOs;
- Assisting in communications tasks, particularly with coalition and external partners;
- Various research activities related to the role of public finance (particularly on climate and development issues);
- Supporting the organisation of internal and public events;
- Supporting Counter Balances work with operational tasks like minute taking, translations and contacts management.
The Director of Counter Balance will be the direct supervisor of the Policy and Advocacy Officer. The Counter Balance board is responsible for the oversight of the work and performance of the Counter Balance secretariat. Therefore, members of the secretariat report regularly on their activities to the board.
Other key relationships:
Counter Balance is a coalition which benefits from the expertise of its members across Europe and seeks to coordinate campaigns and activities at a pan-European level. In this context, the Policy and Advocacy Officer will work in close cooperation with staff within our members dedicated to the objectives of Counter Balance.
Other stakeholders who the Policy and Advocacy Officer will work with include EU and non-EU NGOs who Counter Balance has developed strong partnerships with, journalists and decision-makers at EU level.
Full time contract (38 hours) with a competitive non-profit sector salary.
Place of work: Brussels (Belgium) - Mundo-B, Rue dEdimbourg 26, 1050 Ixelles
Working language: English
We offer you the unique opportunity to work in a flexible and dynamic work environment, contributing to the success of a network of NGOs all over Europe through research, advocacy and communications work on the EIB and the EUs public investment programs. By influencing public investment policies, you will be at the forefront of a highly influential aspect of social and environmental political debates in Europe. Counter Balance exists to make public finance serve people, communities, societies and the planet rather than profit, and you will be vital in achieving this mission as Policy and Advocacy Officer.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Education: Academic degree in a relevant field such as Environmental Science, Economics, Political Science, International Relations, Communications (with a focus on sustainable development) or other relevant field;
- Computer skills: Confident user of all Microsoft Office applications and databases;
- Highly developed writing skills;
- Proficient organisational skills;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills (orally and in writing), ability to work within a small team in Brussels but also with a larger network of member groups;
- Languages: Excellent command of English with additional language(s) an asset;
- Thorough understanding of EU decision-making processes and policies;
- Ability to multitask, prioritise and manage time effectively;
- A quick learner with a positive attitude and proactive approach.
- Knowledge of one or more of the following topics is an advantage: international financial institutions, energy and climate, human rights, transparency, fraud and corruption and international development;
- Experience of grassroots campaigning.
Counter Balance is committed to equal opportunities. This principle applies to the planning of our work, its implementation, the partners and members of our network, management and staffing. We encourage applications from anyone who believes they meet the requirements for the role regardless or colour, gender, race, sexual orientation, religion, origin, disability or age. We value gender equality and diversity within our organisation, and strongly encourage applications from women and people of colour.